Monday, October 13, 2008

This and That

Last week was not my greatest week ever.....just some of the same ole problems stirring up again.....*sigh*......but here are some of the happier moments-

On Thursday I went Visiting Teaching with one of my new wonderful friends, Cindy. We have so much in common and we think alike too...I know, scary!! We decided we didn't have enough time to visit on our way to our sister's home so we went to Subway for a little lunch before our appointment. We went to see an awesome new sister in our ward..she is so much fun and so easy to talk with! Then we went VT again on Friday at noon...thanks Cindy for your wonderful shoulder!!! Anyway, we visit this wonderful older sister in our ward and we've decided to visit her twice a month. She is not able to attend church and I think she really enjoys getting to see us more than once a month. I love to hear all the stories she has to share....it reminds me of listening to my grandma. (I miss her)....

Saturday afternoon I called Cindy to see if she was going to the Marching Band competition...she was....so we went together....thanks again Cindy...what a good friend you are!! Okay, so the Marching Band Competition...wow, what a world I never knew existed!!! I think every high school in Nebraska who has a marching band came to compete. North Star did so good!! They got a division one in both drum major and auxiliary...woo hoo! Cindy's daughter is in the Color Guard. After taking Cindy home Josh called and wanted to head back over to the competition (he was at his high school dropping off all his stuff)...so I went to the school and thought I was going to drop him off at Lincoln High to be with his friends...but he asked me to stay with him. It's not often a teenager wants to hang with his mom...so I called home and told them we'd be late...and we were!!! They didn't pass out the awards until 1130pm!! Luckily the weather was so nice and it was nice to have some one on one time with my son.

My children were relatively well behaved during Sacrament. Aaron works on Sundays and so some of the times are pretty stressful...but I actually heard most of the talks this time! One of the talks was on Elder Holland's talk from this past conference (that was my personal favorite).

Sunday night we had Aaron's assistant manager over for dinner. His name is Mike and the little kids adored him! At one point I looked over and he was sitting on the chair with Hannah on his lap poking and pulling on his face, his mouth was full of a piece of cookie Joe had licked and shoved in there, and he said "thanks for having me over"....too fun!! I'm sure he can't wait to come over again!!

Last week on a whim I applied at a nearby hospital here in Lincoln. The economic situation has been very bad for business at Sofa Mart...I got online and decided to just apply and see what happens....well I interviewed on Friday and was called and offered the job today. I will start sometime in the beginning of November. The best part of all is that Joe and Hannah will only need to have daycare one or two days a week. Two other very good things....I will have benifits from day one..good benefits...and I will be home in the afternoons for my kids...I'm sad to have to go back to work, but happy it's something that will help my family.

I think I'll end with a good quote...I love a good quote!

By trying we can easily learn to endure adversity. Another man's, I mean.
Mark Twain

12 comments:

Deb said...

Sorry that you had such a bad week. Sometimes it seems like everything is happening so fast, it can make it hard to deal with. Congrats on the new job! There is always a silver lining to things like that, even if you don't want to go back to work, good things will come of it. Good luck!

Michelle said...

Congratulations on your new job! I'm glad you have made some nice friends out there. I wish you were still here...I need a good friend.
I hope things pick up at Aarons job.
Have a good night.

Alisa said...

Congratulations on finding a job that will work out so well with the kids and has good benefits, too! It sounds like things are so very busy- you're amazing, Kim! Hang in there!

Julie said...

It's good you can look for the postive in such hard times. Good luck on the job.

Lia said...

Congratulations on the new job. It sounds like you had a good time with Josh. I love it when I get to spend nonstressed time with the kids. Seems hard to come by these days.

Lara said...

I think it's great you applied for this job - sounds like it will be better all around. Good for you - change is hard, but it will all work out.

Cindy said...

You can spill on my shoulder anytime! ha! I appreciate so much our friendship!! You are the best!
You have taught me a lot already!
You will do great at your new job and still at your full time job (being a mom and wife)! ha!!

Stephanie said...

Wow that really stinks to have to work! Medical school lets you sit on your duff and get food stamps and housing! (Well actually we haven't yet)But that isn't being self reliant is it? So good for you Kim. If I were still in Lincoln I would totally watch your kids for you. I know you, and know that you will love to go back to work at a hospital. You are so good at helping people

Brenda Scarlett said...

Congrats on the new job!!! How exciting....your hair will always look great, even in a hair net!!! Hey I'm jealous, I want two visits a month! I love your and Cindy's visits thanks for being a great VTs!

Kristi Amasio said...

Oh when your a mother it's so hard to work isn't it? I feel your pain! But on the happier note, it's sounds like it will be a great part time job for you. Medical benefits from day 1 is awesome! Benefits are a huge deal to me. Sounds like a fun time with the band.

J and M said...

Sighs for you with the financial stresses. We know those all too well here in TX! Congrats on the new job, on the limited day care hours and on having benefits.

What will you be doing at the hospital? Are you guys in the Highlands area? I think that's what I remember......because If so, I had Ellie at an in home child care out there that is a part of several child care ladies who only take kids by referral. Meaning, no scaries at their places!!!

Let me know if you need info.

Jacque said...

what will you be doing at the hospital. I'm sorry you have to go back to work, I'm glad the job hunt was short with quick results. I miss my lab job with the awesome benefits from day one!